Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Cooking Challenge #1 Results

Hello from Big Sky Country! It's been a while since I have posted, but I have a couple posts starting with the first cooking challenge. It's better late than never with the cooking challenges, right? 

I actually did the cheese cooking challenge during the actual challenge week, but I am just getting around to posting. Unlike KimO, I take terrible food photos. Absolutely terrible. However, I have some pretty tough yet cute judges who love to have their photos taken. :)

The dish I chose was a healthy version of Broccoli & Cheddar Soup. I thought it was good, but I would not title the dish Broccoli & Cheddar. It was more Broccoli & Bean with a hint of cheese. It was way more healthy though. I didn't use smoked paprika or kosher salt. I just used regular paprika and regular salt. I am really getting curious how these other spices would taste. I think I might have to get more pantry staples because I am finding more and more recipes that call for these two ingredients.

On to the judging panel.

Judge #1: 7 month old Beau. He just recently started on adult food, so he doesn't have a whole lot experience. A "food virgin" if you will.


Results: Love. Ate it for 2 days straight. Breakfast, lunch and dinner. Success.

Judge #2: Nearly 4 year old Cora. She is a self-described good-eater, but will turn her nose up at the foods I suspect she'll love. She can be a real wild card, but tends to love most soups.

She liked how it smelled. 

A really big bite... 


Results: A thumbs up!! Chalk up another success. I guess this recipe goes into the recipe box. It's a good one for left over broccoli.

On a side note, Lee liked it. I think he would have liked it first had I not told him it was A) a healthy version of x and B) that is was Broccoli & Cheddar. I should have said we are having a bean soup.

I already have an idea for this weeks challenge. The major challenge for me will to be posting it before Sunday.

Happy New Year everyone!! 

3 comments:

  1. Hahha, if it passes the discerning palates of Beau and Cora, I think it'll do well with the spouses!! I will be making this next week, it looks delicious!

    Can't wait to see what the challenge is!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA!!! Awesome! love the photo-story.

    Post-holidays, we've also been feeling like a little less fat and salt and little more veggie, so this soup would be great to have on hand for lunch.

    Also - you're kids are ridiculously cute!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made this soup and it was delicious!!! We had some chipotle to use up, so I threw that in there, too, and topped it with a tiny bit of avocado, and it was fantastic!

    Never thought to use beans for thickening, what an amazing idea. I'm not a huge fan of the texture of beans in their whole form, but am always looking for ways to use them, and this was perfect. Thanks for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete