Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Cooking Challenge #2 Results: Brussels Sprouts

I have never cooked Brussels Sprouts. Never. Lee's mom cooks them all the time and they are always so, so good. I figured if I ever made them, they would taste disgusting. I really am a very poor cook. Thanks to this food challenge, I challenged myself to cooking Brussels Sprouts.

The recipe I chose is Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Toasted Pine Nuts. It was so easy to make and used mostly pantry staples from my kitchen. That's a score in my book. I served them with meatloaf. Even Lee raved about how good it was. Cora and Beau gobbled them up. It was a good recipe. The only thing I would change would be to use reduced balsamic vinegar rather than balsamic vinaigrette. I thought the vinaigrette was too powerful and took away from the taste of the sprouts.

Here's the final result that I took on my phone. Sorry about my incredibly unartistic photo skills.


While at the grocery today, I looked for salsify. Nothing even close. I am so intrigued by that stuff now.

I have a suggestion for a future cooking challenge. Homemade bread. I would like to start making more bread at home, so I am looking for ideas. 

Happy Cooking/Sewing/Crafting!!

1 comment:

  1. Yuuummm....those brussel sprouts look awesomely browned. I hope we get some in our next veg box! Hopefully you find some salsify...I promise that it's not really oyster-y at all (at least I didn't think so!).

    Love the bread idea! Been testing out some sourdough recipes (total fail so far though). I could also really use some great recipes!

    ReplyDelete